Remote Data Backup (RBUSS)
About the Service
Our Remote Data Backup (RBUSS) service is based on Redstor's RBUSS and is a secure, cloud-hosted backup service suitable for all schools with options to protect both administration and curriculum data.
As well as being used to backup business critical information in SIMS and FMS (to help meet the Schools Financial Value Standard SFVS), it can also be used to back up all admin files and curriculum data.
As schools increasingly move to storing their essential data in the cloud the service also includes an option for backing up data stored in your school's Microsoft 365 tenancy. The service helps schools meet the DfE recommendations in the Technology Standards for Cyber Security in schools and colleges.
What are the benefits?
- The service enables your school to protect important sensitive data using a secure, encrypted, automatic and cost-effective off-site backup service. Backups are encrypted before leaving school and are securely transferred and stored in two separate UK-based data centres, providing security and recoverability of critical school data.
- It helps your school comply with its obligations under the Data Protection Act, GDPR and the Information Commissioner's Office (ICO) best practice guidance. It can also help your school in meeting the published DfE guidance, 'Meeting digital and technology standards in schools and colleges', in relation to backup.
- No backup hardware is needed on-site, so no more worrying about retrieving data from tapes or whether your backup data is reliable and secure – it removes the requirement to purchase, manage and maintain local backup solutions.
- Quick and easy data recovery is built in for excellent disaster recovery and business continuity.
- The RBUSS service automatically carries out daily backups of your school's data via an ESS SIMS approved backup service; this is currently the only ESS approved service for backing up SIMS data.
- Redstor, the providers of RBUSS, are certified to ISO27001 and ISO9001 standards.
- Our RBUSS service is monitored daily by Lancashire County Council Education Digital Services, with reports indicating success or failure of scheduled backups checked by our ICT Service Centre to ensure smooth running of the backup service.
Remote Backup (RBUSS) Service Options
We currently offer two remote data backup (RBUSS) service options for data on servers hosted at school:
- Full System Backup - as either Whole School backup (can backup data on multiple servers) OR Administration/SIMS Server Backup (can backup data on a single SIMS server)
- Selective Backup - as either Whole School backup (can backup data on multiple servers) OR Administration/SIMS Server Backup (can backup data on a single SIMS server).
We also offer:
- Microsoft 365 Tenancy Backup - a managed service option based on Redstor's Tenancy Backup Service.
This new service launched in November 2023 is to support schools transitioning to cloud-based services, by helping to ensure that your school's important data stored in the cloud is also backed up and retrievable as part of your school's disaster recovery plan.
Data Backup Options for School Servers:
Offsite Backup Storage
Data can be recovered on request from:
|Type of Backup
Full System Backup (Recommended Option)
This industry standard approach ensures that in the event of a complete server loss or hardware failure, or in the event of a ransomware attack, that all data on whichever device is being backed up can be restored.
This support model aims to help schools meet the current advice from the National Cyber Security Centre (NCSC) to ensure full backups of all essential data making restoration after cyber-attack easier. This model provides:
Your backup will be configured by default to:
Data Backup Capacity Options:
Whole School Backup Option
|Administration / SIMS Server Backup Options
(50GB ‐ 100GB)
Microsoft 365 Tenancy Backup Options
Total capacity is based on:
The Staff Only Microsoft 365 Backup is based on the total number of Faculty licences (Staff) in your Microsoft 365 tenancy.
All Faculty licences must be included, total backup capacity in gigabytes (GB) equals number of licences multiplied by 50.
Special Offer: For a limited period up to the 8th March 2024, we are offering schools an option to purchase a Staff and Pupils data backup option (see pricing section). This service is only available to purchase until this date. Schools will receive:
|Staff and Pupils
Total capacity is based on:
The Staff & Pupils Microsoft 365 Backup is based on the combined total number of Faculty licences (Staff) and Student licences (Pupils) allocated in your Microsoft 365 tenancy.
The total backup capacity in gigabytes (GB) equals the total number of licences multiplied by 5.
- The backup capacity is available for use by the whole Microsoft 365 tenancy. Users are not allocated a personal backup allocation – the number of licences is used to define the total backup capacity (GB) available for the tenancy backup. See Additional Information section for restoration process, full details of items included and excluded from the backup service.
- If the data to be backed up exceeds the total backup capacity additional charges will apply (see Add-on Data Capacity price table).
- For each subscribed user (Faculty or Student licence) we will back up the following:
- Your Exchange Online Mailbox
- Your OneDrive contents
- Your OneNote contents
- We will also backup per Microsoft 365 tenancy:
- SharePoint content
- Teams Content