Anti-Virus and Threat Protection Service (Sophos Central)
About the Service
The Anti-virus and Threat Protection service (Sophos Central) provides schools with licences for a comprehensive suite of technologies to protect your school's devices from a wide variety of threats. Sophos Central is a cloud hosted security suite that provides schools access to modern security tools and protection.
This service includes licencing for the following features:
- Threat Protection (Anti-Virus) – Detection and automatic removal of viruses and malware.
- Application Control – Block, allow or monitor Applications by category or name.
- Device Control – Block, allow or monitor removable media and peripherals such as USB sticks, Bluetooth or DVDs.
- Data Loss Prevention – Block, allow or monitor the transmission of confidential information from your ICT systems to external recipients.
We will configure your schools service with a standard Threat Protection (Anti-Virus) configuration that you can either use "as is" or customise to your schools individual preferences.
What are the benefits?
- Sophos Central can quickly disinfect a wide range of threats.
- By subscribing to this service you can install the Sophos Central endpoint protection on each compatible device in your school
- By securing your data, you are helping to ensure your compliance with data protection.
- Each school has access to their own Sophos Central Dashboard
- Email alerting to schools in the case of outstanding events.
- Comprehensive reporting capability.
- The option to further secure devices by controlling the applications they run or the peripherals that connect to them.
Installation instructions for PCs, servers and devices are available from the Support pages on our website.
Information provided by Sophos is here:
Schools have full access to their administration dashboard allowing control of Sophos Central. Endpoints managed by Sophos Central will receive updates within a few minutes following their release.
Automated disinfection of viruses and malware on all Sophos protected PCs, devices and servers. Where automated disinfection cannot complete, manual intervention will be needed and Sophos administrators for your school will receive a notification email.
Schools subscribing to either of our Technical Support for Curriculum Networks or SIMS Software and Administration Systems Support (SIMS Managed Service option) services can log an incident for assistance with alerts by using our My Incidents online form.
Preconfigured Threat Protection (Anti-Virus) with default policy settings to be applied to all schools:
The following features are also included in your licence. Schools can enable these as required: Optional Policy Templates are available to enable Application and Device control are available:
|Application control (Licence Only)||
There are many types of application that you may not wish to be used on your network (such as hacking software, games and peer-to-peer file sharing utilities). The installation or execution of some applications also can result in viruses entering your network. The Application Control feature allows you to control which applications can be used on your computers. It uses a category based selection method and can be used to block categories such as "VPN software", "games " and "browser plugins".
|Block, allow or monitor removable media such as USB sticks, Bluetooth or DVDs.|
Data Loss Protection (DLP) (Licence only)
|Data Loss Prevention (DLP) controls data loss. DLP enables you to monitor and restrict the transfer of files containing sensitive data. For example, you can prevent a user sending a file containing sensitive data using web-based email.|